วันอังคารที่ 7 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2552

Take 1 TB AcomData PureDrive

Perfect. I’ve had this drive for over a month now, and I have had no problems. I have primarily used this as a backup drive, and have so far mirrored my 500 GB hard drive twice. I do however recommend that you use an ESATA connection if you want to use AcomData PureDrive 1 TB for backup purposes. If you do not have an ESATA connection (like me) then this PCI card is an excellent buy.

Van Ugt-St300 Esata Pci Sata Ii-150 Pci I E 2-Port (1 Internal 1 External)

I really like the fact that someone finally made a reliable external drive that is reasonably priced.

Mostly Good and Some Bad. Good: Low price. The enclosure is attractive and is sturdy. The power brick is small with a removable power cord. All of the components fit nicely in a Case Logic HDC-1 Medium EVA External Hard Drive Case (Black). The drive runs quite and cool (slightly warm to the touch after an hour of continuous writing). The product specs indicate the drive is SATA 1 capable (1.5Gbit/s). I copied video files which were 127 GB. With USB 2.0, the time to write to the disk (Windows Vista with the drive NTFS formated) took 79 minutes (1.6 GB per minute). I purchased the 2PORT RAID5 Esata Pci 3GBPS External Express Card which is RAID compatible (otions set through system BIOS at start-up) and supports 3 Gbit/sec. Using the e-SATA interface, the same set of files took 33 minutes (3.9 GB per minute- 2.4 times faster than USB 2). The speed increase provides about the expected increase between the SATA 1 and USB 2 interfaces. I did not evaluate the unit via Firewire interface. I currently use 2 identical drives with the above mentioned eSATA card in a RAID 1 configuration with good results- only one drive appears in Windows Explorer (Blue Light Indicator) while the other is serving as a mirror (Red Light Indicator). I am using AcomData PureDrive 1 TB set-up to manage large video files- the 1 TB capacity can handle about 75 hours (961 GB) of DVI files.

Bad: The new drive died after less than 10 hours of use. Amazon replaced the unit promptly (no shipping charges). I purchased the same unit about 4 months ago which has been working fine- that one came with an e-SATA cable. The new unit (currently listed by Amazon) no longer does. The Acomdata web site was down for an extended period but is currently back online. However there is no phone number listed to reach them directly. They did not reply to a message I sent through their website (more than 2 weeks).

Conclusion: The drive is an excellent value but loses one star because of the early failure of one drive and the apparent lack of Acomdata customer support and one star for not being E-SATA 2 compatible (3 Gbit/s). Electronic equipment that operates for a few days will most often last a long time. I hope I was just unlucky with the failed drive- only time and use will tell…

AcomData PureDrive 1 TB USB EXT HARD DRIVE. AcomData PureDrive 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive PHD10000USE-72

This drive works very well. The only problem I experience is that I had to reformat the drive (NTFS) to get it work correctly. No big deal, but I am not sure why - the original FAT32 format should have worked. Other than that, I am very please with it. I use it for backing up three computers at home.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: